One of the components of the nutritional cleansing plan is a liquid dietary supplement that you drink an ounce of every morning.
The label on the bottle refers to it as “nature’s stress reliever”. When I went out for my first Healthy Happy Hour to hear about this system, people keep going on and on about this particular supplement. In fact, one woman learned she could use it more then just once in the morning, she could drink it whenever she wanted to help fight stress. She then declared she was going to start carrying it in her flask so she could have a nip anytime throughout the day. I was encouraged to add an ounce to my recovery drink after I work out to help with sore muscles. So what is this magic tonic? As you might imagine I’m not just going to drink this stuff without researching each of the ingredients. The primary listed ingredients are nothing exciting, water, molasses powder, apple, etc., mostly just for flavor plus it contains several B vitamins. But what about the 691 mg of “Proprietary Blend”, what exactly is in that? Well let me tell you, quite a bit!
Pretty much all of the ingredients in the “Proprietary Blend” have been used in Ayurvedic medicine which is a holistic system of medicine that uses herbs, oils and extracts to heal the body from the inside out. So here is the long list of ingredients in this blend and just some of their benefits.
- Wolfberry (Goji berry)-benefits include feeling of well-being, calmness, better athletic performance, and better sleep.
- Ionic Alfalfa– used to treat kidney and bladder problems and increase urinary flow. The alfalfa plant contains many vitamins such as Vitamin A, C, and K4. It has been found that the regular ingestion of alfalfa can aid in flushing the bowel of toxins.
- Rhodiola root– used for increasing energy, stamina, strength and mental capacity, and can help the body to resist physical, chemical and environmental stress.
- Hibiscus– helps treat loss of appetite, colds, heart and nerve diseases, swelling (inflammation), fluid retention, stomach irritation plus is a mild laxative and diuretic.
- Velvet Bean– is a tropical legume that was traditionally used in Asia to control blood pressure. A tea can be made of Velvet Bean to treat cholera and a paste from the leaf can treat skin ulcers. . The seeds can lower blood glucose levels. The roots have a stimulant, purgative, diuretic and astringent capabilities.
- Ashwagandha– has shown great results in lowering cortisol and balancing thyroid hormones. In India it is known as the “strength of the stallion” since it’s been used to strengthen the immune system after illness. Combats the effects of stress.
- Bacopa- helpful for memory and combating stress, promotes liver health, fights systemic redness and swelling, encourages normal blood pressure, has strong antioxidant properties.
- Harada– in numerous studies it demonstrated anti-spasmodic properties via the reduction of abnormal blood pressure and for intestinal spasms. It helps to cleanse the colon, helps in purifying the fat tissue and flushes toxins from the sweat glands which can help improve skin.
- Eleuthera– aids in energy and focus, is an anti-anxiety, anti-fatigue and immune booster. It detoxifies the liver, is an anti-viral, helps with high blood pressure and insomnia.
- Amla– very rich in Vitamin C and packed with many other vitamins and minerals, very powerful antioxidant. It also works well for inflammation especially for joints. The herb is also used to reduce fevers, strengthen the heart, control blood sugar, treat urinary tract infections and improve eyesight. It’s also great for reducing stress.
- Rhododendron– is an evergreen that belong to the same family as azaleas. Parts of certain rhododendron species are toxic. However scientists have found that extracts for some rhododendrons have properties that aid in treating diseases. It is an anti-microbial and helps with some skin conditions, inflammatory pain and kidney and liver function.
- Tribulus– used for kidney problems and as a diuretic. Helps with skin disorders, male sexual problems, increases sexual desire, and helps with the circulatory system.
- Shilajit extract– in the ancient language of Sanskrit, Shilajit means” conqueror of mountains and destroyer of weakness.” It is a mineral that forms on rocks in the Himalayans. The extract is known for supplying the body with vital minerals that help maintain the immune system.
- Schisandra– used to increase resistance to disease and stress, increases energy, physical endurance and performance.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)– helps with osteoarthritis, joint inflammation, tendinitis, muscle cramps, and scar tissue.
- Betaine HCL– was formerly included in over-the-counter products as a “stomach acidifier and digestive aid”. It is a chemical substance made in a laboratory. In 1993 it was banned because there was not enough evidence to classify it as “generally recognized as safe and effective”. Its now only available as a dietary supplements for its effect in helping stomach acid.
- Bamboo– used to aid asthma, coughs and gallbladder disorders. It helps the skin and hair and can strengthen the musculoskeletal system. and reduces triglycerides and cholesterol.
- Maca– used by native Andean people because of its high nutritional value as well as enhances fertility and sexual performance. It has been used to treat many conditions including anemia, tuberculosis, sterility and fatigue. It is well known for helping with hormone balance and can improve symptoms of PMS and Menopause. Also aids in males testosterone levels and fertility. Regular use of maca powder has positive effects on energy, stamina and mood. It is a natural antioxident.
- Ginger root extract– is commonly used to treat various stomach problems, including motion sickness, morning sickness, upset stomach, gas, diarrhea, IBS, nausea. Other uses include pain relief from rheumatoid arthritis, menstrual pain, respiratory tract infections,and cough amount other things.
- Alpha-Lipoicacid – acts as an antioxidant. It used for diabetes and nerve-related symptoms of diabetes, including burning, pain and numbness in the legs and arms. Also used for memory loss and chronic fatigue.
This is just a small list of the benefits of the ingredients in this dietary supplement. No wonder everyone who uses it goes on an on about it! Even though I have only been on this system for 4 days I do really feel like this supplement does help with stress. Using it after I workout definitely could be helping with muscle soreness as I haven’t experienced much this week . While researching each of these ingredients I went to WebMD and then to an alternate website to find this information, I wanted feedback from both sides. I did not find many negatives about these ingredients, and because I imagine there is a small amount of each to make up this “Proprietary Blend”, I feel pretty safe using it. However I’m not a doctor and none of my statements have been reviewed by the FDA, so please do not hold me responsible if I got something wrong. Just doing the research for ya. Ok I have to go now and buy myself a new flask.